Dear Bay Area Farmer Training Program learning community,
The main goal of the Bay Area Farmer Training Program is to build a learning community that provide the education, training and tools for a new generation of farmers to create a socially-just, ecologically sustainable and economically viable urban and peri-urban farm businesses.
“Alone we can work faster but together we can go further”, with this is mind our learning community is built on the basis that cultural diversity is key to enrich the construction of meaningful knowledge that promotes change towards a fairer, more inclusive and equal society. For that reason, our program is focused on the needs of immigrants, refugees, formerly incarcerated, and under-resourced beginning farmers. We also welcome members of the community with other life experiences, such as high school and college students.
Our high quality curriculum uses didactic tools such as field trips, participatory presentations, anti-oppression training, multimedia resources, project-based online curriculum and mentorship support to create an environment that celebrates and respect the different learning skills of our students.
Welcome to our online platform, we wish you a meaningful experience!
Students must complete the following benchmarks to earn a Certificate of Completion and to advance to the next phase of BAFTP.
- Attend 18 out of 24 of BAFTP classes
- Complete all 24 learning modules of the online learning platform, including the Reflection Questions
- Attendance: students are expected to attend and arrive on-time to all class sessions. Please talk with Paul or Ana about any absences so that we can keep you updated with the class.
- Participation: everyone will get the most out of the course by sharing their knowledge with the group. Activities depend on teamwork and knowledge that is built together.
- Respect: Nobody knows everything but together we know a lot. Ana and Paul offer their experience in group facilitation, and respect is essential to productive discussions on sensitive topics. Discrimination of any form will not be tolerated.
- Issues that come up: if any issues arise, students are encouraged to discuss them with Ana and Paul who will do their very best to resolve them. If Ana and Paul are unable to resolve issues, Leah and Gavin are available as well.
Thank you for supporting BAFTP with your student fee. Payments are due to MESA by June 23rd, 2018. Please give your course instructor your check made out to “MESA, Inc.” or pay online through our portal:
If you are financially unable to pay for this course, you may apply for a scholarship to waive the sliding scale fee. In addition, you may apply for a $500 stipend if you are from a vulnerable population, such as recent immigrant, refugee, formerly incarcerated, or limited resource farmer. Fill out the BAFTP scholarship and stipend application (password: “peach”). Please fill out the application by June 22, 2018.