Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Applied Agroecology (CAAP) Introductions Summer 2019 Cohort

• Summer 2019 Cohort

MESA Program created 2 days, 6 hours ago 11 Members · 19 Posts
  • MESA Program

Administrator
    April 7, 2019 at 11:34 pm

Welcome to the Summer Cohort of the Applied Agroecology Certificate Course! This is a place to introduce yourself to your fellow cohort – you could share where you’re from, what you’re growing, why you’re taking this course – the space is yours! Just reply to this forum to start interacting with your peers.

• Marion Mutuku

April 7, 2019 at 11:34 pm

Hello everyone,

I am Marion Mutuku from Kenya, I am a MESA Steward and I am currently at Lockewood Acres, located in Vacaville. I started my training on 1st April and will last for a year. I am interested in learning sustainable Agroecology Agriculture and I look forward to improving my skills and knowledge on agriculture.

• Katie Brimm

Administrator
      August 27, 2019 at 10:56 am

Welcome Marion Mutuku! You’ll bring a unique perspective to this cohort from your home region as well as your experience as a MESA steward. We look forward to hearing about your experiences.

• Wilson Rodriguez

April 20, 2019 at 11:42 am

I’m Wilson Rodriguez from Bogota Colombia, I’m biologist and I want learn about organic agriculture because have a farm in my country and I wish produce organic food there. Im interesting in clean production of vegetables and take care the environment. I’m in Williamstown Massachusetts on a farm called Caretaker farm and I’m working with vegetables and some fruits.

• Katie Brimm

Administrator
      August 27, 2019 at 10:57 am

Welcome Wilson! I look forward to learning from your background in biology and how you relate to agroecology.

• Natalia

Administrator
      August 29, 2019 at 1:12 pm

Hola Wilson! Welcome to the course and to the MESA program. I too am from Bogota. Espero que disfrutes tu tiempo en los Estados Unidos. Cowboy

• Cristian Cifuentes Cifuentes

May 11, 2019 at 3:55 pm

I’m Cristian Cifuentes from Bogota Colombia, I’m biologist and I am interested in learning and putting into practice the knowledge of applied agroecoligia, in vegetables, fruit, vegetables, in order to implement in Colombia an organic productive project.

• Natalia

Administrator
      August 29, 2019 at 1:13 pm

Hola Cristian! Bienvenido al curso y al programa de MESA, espero que aprendas mucho durante tu programa.

• Natalia

Administrator
    August 20, 2019 at 11:36 am

Hello everyone, Welcome to the course. I am supporting MESA with technology development and distance education. We look forward to getting to know you over the coming months.

• Kimberly Wright~Smith

August 20, 2019 at 11:04 pm
    Hello, my name is Kimberly Wright-Smith (aka Kim), I was born and raised in the city known for spreading PEACE & LOVE, Berkeley, California. I’m excited to say that for the past 20 years I have had the wonderful opportunity to serve the highly diverse and dynamic communities of the Bay Area. I have worked with children and youth as well as with middle-aged and senior adults of various ethnicities, socio-economic backgrounds and abilities in educational, recreational and community events. And held various positions from being a gardener to being an analyst to being the lead person for the largest youth oriented AmeriCorps program based in the state of California, for eight years as the Program Director. In my spare time, I enjoy crocheting, spontaneous family weekend adventures, gardening (personally and/or via Food Faith & Justice) or caring for farm animals as a volunteer at the Eco Village Farm Center located in Richmond, California. ~

finally I leave you with a quote that I am famous for saying, and truly believe.. “Everybody can be great. Because anybody can serve. You don’t have to have a college degree to serve. You don’t have to make your subject and your verb agree to serve. You don’t have to know about Plato and Aristotle to serve. You don’t have to know Einstein’s Theory of Relativity to serve. You don’t have to know the second theory of thermo-dynamics in physics to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love. “Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  Natalia.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  Natalia.
    • Katie Brimm

Administrator
      August 27, 2019 at 10:53 am

Welcome Kim! This is a gorgeous quote, thank you for sharing. We look forward to learning with you!

• Katie Brimm

Administrator
    August 27, 2019 at 10:54 am

Hi there Summer Cohort of Learners! Natalia and I are so excited to have you learning on the new platform and to be starting your journey through this course. I will be one of your MESA Facilitators, guiding you and responding to you as you make your way through the material. I look forward to learning from you and with you!

• Fredrick Onyango Onyango

August 30, 2019 at 9:39 am

My name is Fredrick Onyango from Kenya , I have been working with NGO in kenya called Grow Biointensive Agricultural Center of Kenya, GBIACK for  period 6years prior to my coming to USA for the MESA program.At GBIACK I worked as the Senior extension officer and trainer for offering outreach services to the small  farmers and youth groups,whereby  we have been organizing workshops training the farmers and youths then later do the follow ups. Am  now an intern at Ecology Action ,willits California ,a program that will go for 8months.This course of agroecology is very important for me because it will equip me with unique understanding of the ecosystem sustainabilities and the relationship of environment and human being.My sincere  thanks goes to all MESA officials and the sponsors of this program for giving hope in life.Long live MESA.

• Katie Brimm

Administrator
      September 5, 2019 at 1:47 pm

Welcome Fredrick! Both your knowledge of agriculture Kenya and your experience as a MESA steward at Ecology Action will inform our entire learning community, we look forward to hearing from you! When I’m not at MESA, I farm at Singing Frogs Farm, a no till farm in California where we hosted Francis, also of GBIACK. Happy to have you on the course!

• Deanna Fontaine-Motyl

September 5, 2019 at 5:02 pm

I am Deanna Fontaine-Motyl from Connecticut, US. I am either planning to go straight into the field or return to school for a Master degree in something agriculture-related. Maybe it will be Agroecology? 

I’ve volunteered with Rodale Institute research team to promote regenerative agriculture over conventional agriculture to feed the world, I advocate for food security with Heifer International, and I was the state coordinator for Connecticut’s Master Composting program for the past year. I’m a certified Master Composter so maybe I can help with composting questions or at least point you to resources =)

• Katie Brimm

Administrator
      September 5, 2019 at 5:55 pm

Welcome Deanna! We love compost over here in this world of agroecology, so do please share! 

• Amelia Eckles

September 12, 2019 at 1:41 pm

Hi everyone! It’s so nice to learn more about who else will is taking the course! I live in Colorado and am currently the apprentice at an urban farm that is connected with the Mental Health Center of Denver. I also work at the public library here in Denver and started a seed library at my branch last summer. I completed a Permaculture Design Course 3 years ago and have been growing food at home for the same amount of time. I’m excited to learn with all of you!

• Katie Brimm

Administrator
      September 12, 2019 at 5:36 pm

Welcome Amelia! Thanks for sharing more about what you’re up to. I’m originally from Colorado – much different growing season than out here in California! Great to hear you started a seed library – are you interested in seed sovereignty? We look forward to learning with you!

• Jessica O’Callahan

September 12, 2019 at 7:29 pm

Hello everyone!

My name is Jessica O’Callahan. I was a vegetable farmer for 5 years and am now studying horticulture in NYC. I hope to combine all of my experience and knowledge and contribute to making our farms and gardens more ecologically sustainable. I have a lot of experience with season extension and winter growing and am looking forward to learning more things.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now