Home Forums Climate Resilience via Agroecology Weekly Lesson Forum Week 3: Principles and Practices of Agroecology

• Week 3: Principles and Practices of Agroecology

• N4t4l14

Administrator
    June 13, 2018 at 1:39 pm

Please post your thoughts, resources, comments or questions on Week 3’s materials: Principles and Practices of Agroecology. You may also post the findings from your assignment in this topic

Some Discussion Questions

• Can you identify biodiversity components in your farm that play key ecological services? Describe.
    • Do you think crop rotations, intercropping are practices that you could incorporate into your farm management? What would be the difficulties or impediments?
    • What practices do you use / can you use to enhance soil organic matter in your soil?
    • How do you deal / might you deal with insect pest and plant disease problems?
    • What practices could you use to enhance the resilience of your farm to a specific climate event (droughts, floods, changing degree days, temperature changes, etc). From an agroecological, perspective explain why these practices would be effective?
    • What barriers have you experienced in increasing the agroecological capacity of your farm?
  • Jeanne Yu

June 14, 2018 at 12:30 pm

I am not able to see the video list for Week 3 on the course website. Would it be possible to post the videos here too for this week? And the homework assignment? Thanks!

• Bob

June 19, 2018 at 3:28 pm

Agro-ecological practices: A volunteer at the Gill Tract Community Farm just compiled this list of what we are succeeding at and what we have yet to accomplish. It seems relevant to this week’s discussion. You can compare this list to your own success and look for the commonalities.

Farm successes:
    1. demonstrating urban organic agro-ecology as a viable alternative to industrial agriculture and monocropping.
    2. showing that preserving open space and crating edible gardens are important contributors to combating global climate change.
    3. providing a space where people can learn the skills to grow food in a variety of urban settings (back yards front yards, abandoned lots, public parks)
    4. distributing organic produce to underserved and marginalized populations
    5. illustrating public resources (UCB property) can be cooperatively managed successfully in collaboration with the community
    6.promoting food justice and food sovereignty via joint projects with the local indigenous community

Farm challenges:
    1. operating a viable food production facility with volunteer labor from the community and local schools 2. obtaining adequate resources (financial and otherwise) to expand our food growing capacity
    3. developing a collaborative relationship with UCB and a long-term agreement to preserve the Gill Tract as agricultural land (a significant challenge)
    4. having an impact in the broader movement to create an equitable and healthy society
    5. expanding inclusion of marginalized communities in farm governance to develop leadership

• Bob

June 19, 2018 at 8:49 pm

Just as I was cut off form this evening’s webinar, I was about to say how much I enjoyed hearing about the differences and similarities between organic, agro-ecological, permacultural, sustainable,and restorative farming. This lively discussion shows me that we aren’t doing monocultural thinking. Great to be part of this biodiversity of perspectives.

• Jeanne Yu

June 19, 2018 at 10:34 pm

Click HERE for the notes from the group break out session for the Livestock & Ranch group.

• Gabriel

June 25, 2018 at 10:44 pm

For some reason I am unable to go back and look at week 3. Anyone else with that issue?

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now